Monday 16 January 2012

Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms

I have a thing for mushrooms.  I have a huge thing for mushrooms and when they're stuffed, I have an even bigger thing for them.  To those of you that hate the fungus, that is a cryin' shame.  I can't get enough of them.  God forbid we have none in the fridge, I will go into a panic.  I kid you not, they might be my favorite vegetable and I cook with them daily.
I bought these big gorgeous mushrooms the other day that just cried out to be stuffed.  I had ground chicken and blue cheese and it became very obvious what had to be done.  Oh my.  These were the words that flew out of my mouth at the first bite.  Spicy, creamy, bluey....YUM!  I had only made 3 each because they were so big which was probably a good thing seeing as my husband would have eaten at least another 20. 
I insist you use Frank's Red Hot.  There is no substitute.  I used 1/4 cup but you could use a little less if you don't like that much heat.  If you don't like Blue Cheese, use an aged Cheddar or Mozzarella.  Enjoy!






Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms

Makes 10 Large or 20 Small

10 large or 20 small mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
1/2 lb ground chicken
2 tsp olive oil & 1 tsp butter (butter optional)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot
2 oz mild blue cheese

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Heat a skillet over med heat, add oil and butter garlic and onion.  Saute until onion is just transparent.  Add ground chicken, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and garlic powder. Cook until it's and no longer pink and cooked through breaking up with a spoon.  Remove from the skillet and add to a bowl. Mix with the hot sauce and cream cheese until well incorporated.  Season the mushrooms lightly with a tiny sprinkle of salt and stuff the mushrooms and top with the blue cheese.  Bake the large mushrooms for about 25-30 minutes and the small for 20 minutes.





1 comment:

  1. I'll comment on my own recipe! I made this for a second time in a week and again, it was devoured. We had some left over buffalo chicken mixture and my husband tossed it on nachos. I think it would be amazing in a quesadilla. Use your imagination!

    ReplyDelete